In 2020, the essence of Mandela Day – take action, inspire change, and make every day a Mandela Day – is more important than ever before.
1.WHY WE CELEBRATE NELSON MANDELA DAY
Nelson Mandela International Day (or Mandela Day) is an annual international day in honour of Nelson Mandela, celebrated each year on 18 July, Mandela’s birthday. … Mandela Day is a global call to action that celebrates the idea that each individual has the power to transform the world, the ability to make an impact
2.TEN THINGS MANDELA DID TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE
- He led by example, showing how it is possible to forgive one’s enemies. He showed this while creating a new South Africa, dismantling Apartheid and keeping the peace amongst the people while tackling racism, poverty and inequality.
- He established the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, providing a safe place to investigate past human rights abuses, avoiding civil war and bloodshed.
- He established measures to combat poverty and expand healthcare services.
- He became a global symbol of peacemaking, after he won the Nobel Peace Prize with F.W. De Klerk.
- He used sports to bring the racially divided country together. Mandela used the country’s love for rugby as a way to unite blacks and whites in the racially divided country.
- He maintained his dignity and humour, even through the bad times of his life and became a beacon of hope.
- He established the Commission for Gender Equality, as he wanted to create a “society free from gender oppression and all forms of inequality”.
- He created the Nelson Mandela Foundation, focusing their work towards combating poverty and HIV/AIDS. He admitted that he did not address the HIV/AIDS crisis when he was president, so he created the 46664 organisation to promote awareness and prevention.
- Mandela worked with the unions, such as COSATU, to boost employment opportunities, reducing unemployment rates and poverty.
- He aided the South African Reserve Bank in slashing inflation by more than 7% in 5 years.
3.TEN THINGS WE CAN ALSO DO TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
-BECOME AN ORGAN DONOR
-TAKE PRIDE IN WHERE YOU LIVE AND WORK
-PLANT A TREE
-PURCHASE LOCALLY PRODUCED GOODS AND SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES
-SHARE YOUR SKILLS
-BE POSITIVE AND BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN YOUR COUNTRY
-REDUCE YOUR IMPACT ON THE ENVIRONMENT
4.WHY WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER NELSON MANDELA
Mandela has passed away. He believed in human equality and freedom for people not only for African people, for all people around the world. … Mandela will be remembered as the symbol of national liberation movement and independence of the African people.”
Mandela dedicated much of his life to working to end poverty both domestically and internationally. Always an eloquent speaker, his voice remains one of the strongest and has inspired people from around the world. “Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation.
what are you planning to do with your 67 minutes ? Answer in the comment section #Letsmakeprogress
Your comments are important to us, please take a second and drop a comment and let us know what you thought of the Blog, Don’t forget to share this with all your friends of Facebook and Twitter.
CONNECT WITH US